Monday 31 March 2008

More Schpiel...

GAH!! I haven't posted anything since JANUARY!! Three months since my last post & I have done so much it would be impossible to get all of it down here. Someone once said; "It's the good girls that keep diaries. The bad girls never have the time." Whoever that was, was a very wise person!! Except, I don't think I qualify as bad... Just busy!! I think I would rather be out living a life I'll remember than one I have to write down to remember anyway really so, meh, can't technically complain about not blogging lately.

"The hand of Vengance found the bed
To which the Purple Tyrant fled
The iron hand crushed the Tyrants head
And became a tyrant in his stead"

Power. Is it possible that people can be governed by just one person? Though we live in a democracy, isn't it just one person or a finite pannel of people that control what happens to everyone in the country anyway? Can true democracy really exist without chaos? I've never understood how it can exist. Fair enough, we vote for who we want to be in charge and make all the major decisions about the country, but just because you vote for someone does not instantly make all their views the same as yours, nor does it mean that they are guaranteeing to hold up their end of the bargin. Politics surround everything we do. Including "political correctness", which I hate. Where there is power there can be no love.


Recently an uncle of mine became depressed & had to be institutionalised. After the 9/11 tragedy, he lost a lot of money in the stock market. It was bound to happen but he continued to invest & overall he lost something like £1.2 million. This was a horrible thing to happen but I really don't understand why he's depressed. He has his family, his health, he's still a wealthy man who hasn't had to work for a number of years & he's only 48. When there are so many people in the world with so much worse happening to them, it almost makes me angry that because he has lost (ok, it's a fair whack of money but,) money he doesn't even need. It's only money!! He has 3 daughters who are all 21 & over, two are married & one is engaged, they're all working so he doesn't have to support them, just himself & his wife. Materialistic wants are now a sad way of life but a way of life nonetheless. I would say I guess he's just going to have to adjust but, really, he doesn't need to. His lifestyle could remain intact for the rest of his life.
Why do people have to want for so much money? All anyone really needs is enough to live on. Some measure of financial security in this economically fluctuating world is very handy but when you start haggling & bartering & geting depressed about an excess of money you don't even need, even for that extra security blanket, then isn't it time to say "enough is enough"?


Next thought...

"Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Had brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A fly like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing;
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath;
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die."

-William Blake

The man was a genius. The Fly is one of my favourites by Blake, though I have many. It's one of my favourites because no matter what he intended it to literally mean, in my mind, it reminds me that every creature has life that should be valued. None should be more valued than another, even spiders, that people tend to squish a lot.
Every one of God's creatures is here for a reason (though I've never understood the purpose of headlice =S) & each one deserves it's rightful chance to live. Whether it be 80 years or merely a day, each one should be lived to its full until its rightful time to end.

On that rather sombre final note, I shall end with this... There's nothing quite like opening a book that won't let you put it down. So that's what I'm off to do ^_^ Hopefully I won't neglect this bloggy for too long now that I've come back to my senses!!


Jpxxx

3 comments:

Sprizouse said...

Nice post... just happened to surf in this evening. That you appreciate Blake's "Fly" on any level is impressive. His poems are often layered with socio-political subtexts and questions of faith.

If you really want to understand Blake's work, it's best to view the poem in its entire context (he engraved pictures on most of his poems).

The Fly, coming in the "Songs of Experience" book has quite a few academic interpretations... my favorite is that it has to do with the loss of innocence and the realization that true happiness also comes with an understanding of mortality (basically, bad things help us appreciate good things even more).

This interpretation seems somewhat relevant to the rest of your post, no?

Jenny said...

All of the "Songs of Experience" are to do with the loss of innocence, hence why they follow on from many of the poems from "Songs of Innocence" & are much darker than the more naively optimistic "Songs of Innocence". I love all of Blake's work. Especially this & The Human Abstract.

I prefer the notion that the smallest of cretures are important & that all life should be valued. It isn't just a fly. Everyone has their world. It's one world less. It reminds me to appreciate life & everything it entails because it could be all over with the sweep of the hand of a greater power.

Jpxxx

Sprizouse said...

I couldn't remember where I commented on one of the Romantics until you responded and I got an email.

Anywho... I'm definitely with you with the "Blake Lovin"... I think he had the strongest voice of all the Romantics.